31 May 2021
CIEL TEXTILE publishes its first “Sustainability Report” while engaging with its partners and customers around sustainable development.
100% digital, CIEL Textile is pleased to present its first sustainability report developed in accordance with GRI standards. The report entitled “Winning Well” provides a transparent overview of the current state of the Group’s sustainability achievements and progress. It demonstrates CIEL Textile’s objective to be a “Sustainable Global Fashion Partner” for leading international fashion brands.
“After a year marked by the COVID-19 pandemic, the publication of this report demonstrates our commitment to sustainable development, which is at the heart of our corporate strategy and vision” says Eric Dorchies, CEO of CIEL Textile.
“We are merely in the starting blocks, yet we are determined to contribute at our level to this global issue, by accelerating our efforts in terms of Sustainable Fashion, by working together with our customers and partners to be more respectful towards our planet and our communities. The stakes are high, whether in terms of reducing our carbon emissions, improving working conditions or product traceability, but we are convinced that this is the only way forward for the future of our Group”, adds Pami Kular, Head of Sustainability for CIEL Textile.
The report covers the period July 2017 to June 2020 and shares the data for the environmental, social and corporate governance (ESG) of CIEL Textile operations which includes 18 production sites and nearly 18 000 employees. The report introduces the group’s approach and actions implemented to improve its ESG performance.
Activate climate response
- Zero Coal as boiler fuel by 2030
- Achieve 35% renewable energy by 2030
- 50% reduction in waste to landfill by 2030
Under this section, it is worth noting that:
- CIEL Textile joined the Sustainable Apparel Coalition (SAC) in 2017, becoming the first Sub-Saharan African member of this global alliance.
- In 2019, Aquarelle’s factory in Samudra, India, was awarded the LEED Platinum Certification—the highest distinction for green buildings—making it one of the first apparel eco-factories in India.
- Around 50,000 trees were planted in 2019 as part of carbon offsetting activities.
- 100% of the effluents are treated before discharge using effluent treatment plants (ETP)
Foster a vibrant workforce
- 35% Women at Management level by 2030
- 100% employees trained on Ethics and Sustainability by 2023
Under this scope, CIEL Textile indicates that:
- 98% of the workers are permanently employed.
- Regular audits of all production sites are carried in accordance with the IFC performance Standards for human rights.
- Through its Leadership and Management Academy 361°, CIEL Textile trained 2,500 employees in best practices for operational excellence and managements techniques.
Champion inclusive growth
- Advocate for 30% Certified & Recycled raw material usage by 2025 & 50% by 2030
- Advocate for Higg Index tools adoption in our value chain representing 80% of business volume, of which 50% verified by 2030
Under this heading, it is interesting to note that:
- 91% of the product mix is made out of 100% natural raw materials
- 18,000 employees spanned in 4 countries participated in the annual group initiative “Act For Our Community” and voluntarily devoted their time to support community driven events.
- CIEL Textile provided rigorous control and monitoring over its 1 150 suppliers and partners
- CIEL Textile has taken initial steps to develop circular economy solutions, having created a 100% recycled shirt, as well as a 100% “waste-to-wear” sweater
“Save the date for the release of our 2nd report in 2023 which, we hope, will show many positive advances in all our initiatives” says Pami Kular.
“I firmly believe that our future lies in our ability to transform our industry through smart design, innovation and sustainable supply chains while offering products at competitive prices” concludes Eric Dorchies.
Read the full report and discover the group’s performance and sustainable development initiatives online on: https://www.cieltextile.com/sustainability-report-2020.pdf